Friday, June 17, 2011

Small Town Saturday Night

While my iPod holds over 1200 songs varying from gospel and bluegrass to the far extreme of that with songs by Eminem, Lil Wayne and Ludacris and just about everything in between, the biggest bulk of the music I listen to daily is country. Old country like George Jones, Hank Williams and Patsy Cline to today's hitmakers all make the cut with me.

I've found a trend in a lot of country songs. Have you ever noticed how many focus on life in a small town? Think about it:
Famous in a Small Town by Miranda Lambert
Small Town Kid by Eli Young Band
Where the Blacktop Ends by Keith Urban
Boondocks by Little Big Town
My Town by Montgomery Gentry
Back Where I Come From by Kenny Chesney
Mayberry by Rascall Flatts
Where I Come From and Small Town Southern Man by Alan Jackson
Small Town USA by Justin Moore
and the one that inspired today's blog title, Small Town Saturday Night by Hal Ketchum.



I'm sure this is only scratching the surface, but it helps drive home my point. There is nothing quite like living in a small town! While I do LOVE to travel, I have never considered living anywhere but right here in Burkesville. I know a lot of my peers have moved onto other cities and even states far from here. I've heard a lot of those same people mention on numerous occasions too that they miss their hometown and all that it has to offer. While it may not be a drive-thru restaurant or high end shopping, it has its own unique qualities as do the neighboring small towns.

Where I live is technically in Cumberland County, it is also within spitting distance of Metcalfe and Monroe counties. If you are indeed from a small town like me, you know how far spitting distance is. Anyway.... the close proximity of Edmonton and Tompkinsville keep my informed of the goings on of those small towns as well. And I simply LOVE this time of the year because it is time for all those small town festivals and events to start happening. It just so happens that this weekend is the Blueberry Festival in Edmonton!

Festivals like the Blueberry Festival in Metcalfe County and the Watermelon Festival in Monroe County and of course the widely-known Bluegrass Festival here in Cumberland County are wonderful social events. You can come out and stroll around the square to do some shopping at the many vendors booths. You can count on everything from home-processed goodies, baby bows, handbags, arrowheads, knives, and who knows what else. You can also hear some great music as I'm sure each festival will feature some folks a'pickin & a'grinnin'! I'd have to do the latter because I couldn't play a stringed instrument if my life depended on it. And you can also count on meeting some fascinating people and hearing their intriguing tales.

Looking for something to do for your small town Saturday night? In celebration of the Blueberry Festival this weekend, which I highly encourage you to attend after you stop by our own local Farmers Market on the square Saturday morning, I'd like to share a yummy recipe from the Kentucky Proud recipes. Buying Kentucky Proud is easy. Look for the label at your grocery store, farmer's market or roadside stand. Today I wonder if I could convince someone to make this cake and bring me a slice?! LOL.... Enjoy!! Have a great weekend!

BLUEBERRY CREAM CHEESE POUND CAKE
Ingredients:
1 (8 oz) package of fat free cream cheese
1/2 cup canola oil
1 (18 oz) package yellow butter cake mix
1 (5 oz) package instant vanilla pudding mix
2 large egg whites
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups fresh blueberries

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
2. Lightly spray Bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray and dust with flour.
3. Combine cream cheese and oil in a medium bowl; beat with mixer at high speed until smooth and creamy.
4. Add cake mix, pudding mix, egg whites, eggs, and vanilla extract. Beat at medium speed until blended.
5. Fold in berries.
6. Spoon batter into prepared pan.
7. Bake 60 minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
8. Cool cake in pan for 20 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely.

Yields: 16 slices
Nutrition Analysis: 260 calories; 10g fat; 1.5g saturated fat; 0g trans fat; 30mg cholesterol; 390mg sodium; 38g carbohydrates; 1g fiber; 23g sugar; 4g protein

No comments:

Post a Comment